Friday, July 27, 2012

Daring Bakers July: Your Crackers for Crackers!


 


Our July 2012 Daring Bakers’ Host was Dana McFarland and she challenged us to make homemade crackers! Dana showed us some techniques for making crackers and encouraged to use our creativity to make each cracker our own by using ingredients we love.











   This was a fun experience.  Personally my mother is the cracker fanatic so she was excited to see how they turned out.

   I tried the Pepper Jack Oregano crackers which was a wonderful taste, but the only problem was that I  added too much oil so it was oily even when it was baked.  I even made a herb cream cheese spread to go with it, which was very delicious.  It might have overpowered the crackers a little bit, but with the cayenne on there it was pretty potent on it's own.  I loved the cayenne on there with the little bit of taste from the pepper jack.  I was sad that you can't really taste the pepper jack cheese as much, but with all of the other flavors it was really good by itself.  


  I liked the spice combination so much in fact that I steamed a chicken breast with garlic powder, minced onions, oregano; and then at the last few minutes I put on the last of my pepper jack cheese from the crackers on top to melt.  That was soo good.  The oregano and pepper jack really is a great combination.  


  But after making the pepper jack, I felt more confident with the Sesame Seed Health crackers.  These I put in my freezer.  My mother loved those, especially since she was on a diet and they weren't as bad for her. The one thing I did with those was twice bake them.  They still ended up a little softer than what I think a cracker should be.

No comments:

Post a Comment