Monday, July 22, 2013

The Know-How

Hello all,

   It's been awhile since I've actually posted anything on here besides just recipe posts.  Today I figured I'd say HELLO! and greetings to those that have viewed my blog.

    I hope you have enjoyed everything you've seen and that some of you have actually baked some of these things yourself.  Being an amateur baker I love when I can find new and interesting recipes from fellow bloggers that are just like me and are trying it for the first time.

 So I'd just like to say that I'm hoping to start really being vocal on this blog.  Not just recipes anymore.  One of the reasons that I have decided this is that I'd like to share with everyone (and mostly get advice/comments) the new project I'm starting.

Just a little backstory:

    I majored in Film Studies in college, and have since graduated, to find that not many people are hiring in my field.  So as many young fresh-out-of-college students are finding menial jobs to take up their time, and pay their bills, I have done just that.  I'm working at a restaurant here in Raleigh, and it's hard work, but it's suiting all of the needs I have for my bills and what not.  But I'm not really gaining many skills from it.

My project:

     I'be started a little baking home business.  Nothing big just to people in my neighborhood, and maybe at work.  But it would be something to occupy my time and it would make me feel like I'm doing something good.

    **  I know I'm probably saying exactly what you bakers and chefs out there know, but baking is such a passion for me.  It makes me feel good inside, and it calms me down after a stressful week, much like meditation would for others.  I love that people smile when they taste my pastries and it makes them happy or gives them something that brightens up their day.  It's a fabulous thing to be able to bring people that little moment of happiness in a crazy day.

    So I want to bake more.  I want to be able to bake for other people besides just coworkers.  And not to be rude but the money wouldn't be bad either.

   Working in the food industry is ok, but I'd at least like to be learning and practicing what I want to do in my free time: like baking.  AkA I'm trying to get a job that will be something I like doing and it will help me get better.

To get to the heart of the matter I'm going to teach myself how to master- class decorate cakes and cupcakes!    

  I will be practicing with different icings (because I want to find the best one).  I will also be making more gumpaste flowers and getting better with gumpaste.  This is where the comments and advice come in.  So as I go along here teaching myself and decorating the heck out of some cakes, if you'd like to send me a comment and get in your two cents, I'd love to hear it!

    I hope you all are having a great start to the week and will hopefully be posting soon.

Megan

No comments:

Post a Comment