Tuesday, June 22, 2010

For tomorrow ... hopefully

So I am probably going to make my next pie tonight. I have decided that a fruit pie is just the thing for this hot summer week. My dad has grown a garden in his backyard, and before that we had an assortment of fruit bushes/trees. There's an apple tree (though I don't think we've ever eaten much from it), a cherry tree (aka a bird buffet), some blueberry bushes, and I think some blackberry bushes. We also had a plum tree at one point, and I think a peach tree, but I don't know if they are still producing anything or not. Like I said the birds love them.

We picked a whole slew of blueberries from the garden and I brought them home with me. Gee look, I have fruit, what in the world should I do with all of those blueberries. Ok so a little much on the sarcasm, but indeed I have all of those blueberries and indeed I will make a blueberry pie. I actually like blueberry pie usually. I'm just worried that I won't have enough. I can always buy some from the store, but I'm hoping I have enough. I had some last night with some cherries (a little fruit salad) and it was really good. Most of them aren't tart, which is good, and they are mostly all fat and juicy as well.

I can't wait to have a yard of my own so I can have fruit trees/bushes. I just think having fresh fruit like that is the greatest thing. I went on a cruise a couple years back and they always had fresh fruit on tables for anyone to eat. That's the first time I had Real passion fruit, and boy was it good. So yeah, fresh fruit like that is to die for. I'm more into the citrus fruits as well, so I've got to find someplace that you can grow those well, because I'm pretty sure they don't grow that well down here... or I'm just missing them.

So Blueberry pie next, with a lattice top crust. Fun, fun!

MB

No comments:

Post a Comment