Friday, June 18, 2010

Fathers Day Pie





I came home this afternoon and finally got to see everyone. I'm celebrating Fathers day with both of my dads on Saturday and Sunday. As soon as I got home I stopped by the grocery store and picked up a few things for the.. wait for it...

Frozen Grasshopper pie

It was really fun to make. I got to show my mother my new mixer and she thought it was great.. just like a power tool. Hey it's a different kind of power tool but it's still incredibly useful. My mother and I had and interesting debate about the pieces of candy and chocolate that we put into the pie. It's basically a chocolate mint pie. So to make it extra yummy and minty we put pieces of Junior Mints and slivers and shavings of bars of dark chocolate. I said that it would be best to have smaller pieces, so that you could eat it easily. It sucks when you try and cut into a slice of pie and have a sliver of chocolate messing up half of the piece because it's being pushed up and down by the knife and what not... ok well I'm not really explaining it right but there you go. Anyway she said that it's better to have bigger pieces so you don't just have everything mushed up into one thing. It's good to have different textures. There was something in there about the practices of Ben and Jerry's and their cherry garcia ice cream.

So we compromised and put a bit of both sizes in it, with shavings sprinkled on the top. It was really pretty. It called for mint extract, which we added, but then we added just a bit of Creme de Minthe; which should shake things up tomorrow morning. Then we added green food coloring, so it looked kind of minty. Then more whip cream on top, with a chocolate graham cracker crust. Unfortunately they didn't have any Oreo crust, but plain old chocolate will do just fine.

I've recently found out that they sell the graham cracker crumbs in a box, so you don't have to chop them yourself, you just mix them with whatever you're doing. It's really nice and convenient. I remember I had to crush the graham crackers with a spoon in a little zip lock baggy when the blender only powdered them. It's called graham cracker crumb crust for a reason.

And it tastes... Very Minty!

So it's not so much a mint chocolate chip pie as it is a Mint pie with chocolate candy in it. So I have resolved to add more chocolate the next time I make it. I'm sure that it will do just fine with some melted chocolate or some such like that. Or at least chocolate cookie crumbs instead of bits of Junior mint. It felt like I was eating breath mint after breath mint. Oh well, as least I have an alternative to after dinner mints. :)


MB

Frozen Grasshopper Pie (Very Minty)

prep time: 10 min
total time: 4 hr 10 min
makes: 8 servings

what you need
1 jar (7 oz.) JET-PUFFED Marshmallow Creme
1 tub (8 oz.) COOL WHIP LITE Whipped Topping, thawed, divided
1 tsp. mint extract
4 to 6 drops green food coloring
15 thin chocolate mint wafers, chopped (about 1/2 cup) [I would use just chocolate wafers if you want the pie to be more chocolaty]
1 OREO Pie Crust (6 oz.)

Make It

BEAT marshmallow creme and 2 cups of the whipped topping in large bowl with wire whisk until well blended. Add mint extract and food coloring; mix well. Gently stir in chopped wafers.

SPOON into pie crust.

FREEZE at least 4 hours or until firm. (Pie will be firm, but not frozen solid.) Top with remaining whipped topping just before serving. Store leftover pie in freezer.

No comments:

Post a Comment