Sunday, June 13, 2010

Anniversary Pie

My grandparents are having their 49th anniversary and so I'm going to make them a pie. My grandmother is a cooking fanatic you could say, and she's really good at it. She makes some of the best southern food I have ever tasted. So when I posed the idea of making a pie for their anniversary she seemed excited.

Unfortunately I lost my really good apple pie recipe, hopefully I'll find it again. On that note I've got to find a better filing system since I'm actually doing this recipe thing, and I should really keep track. But I found one on a recipe website and it sounds good; people also thought it was good, so we'll see if they like it. It even has it's own crust recipe. I'll have to see how that works. It's always good to find a good crust recipe.

My cheesecake is finished, still in the pan because it has to set for another hour, but it smells good. The top is a little more brown than I would have liked but I'm not sure how or what made it do that, so I'll have to look into that. I had this crazy idea that I would cut the browned top off, but realized that it would probably mess it up beyond repair (or make it look awful afterward) so I'm just going to put the nut toppings on and keep on going.

So I'll blog to tomorrow on how it went; see what the coworkers think. :)

MB

Perfect Apple Pie




Submitted By: Judy Oudekerk

Prep Time: 25 Minutes
Cook Time: 55 Minutes
Ready In: 1 Hour 20 Minutes

Servings: 8


Ingredients:
2 cups all-purpose flour
1 teaspoon salt
3/4 cup shortening
4 tablespoons cold water (I needed a bit more)
FILLING:
7 cups thinly sliced peeled baking apples
2 tablespoons lemon juice
1 cup sugar
1/4 cup all-purpose flour
1 teaspoon ground cinnamon
1/4 teaspoon ground nutmeg
2 tablespoons butter or margarine
1 egg yolk
1 tablespoon water
A dash of Salt

Directions:
1. In a bowl, combine flour and salt; cut in shortening. Gradually add cold water, 1 tablespoon at a time, tossing lightly with a fork until dough forms a ball. Chill for 30 minutes. On a floured surface, roll half of dough into 10-in. circle. Place into a 9-in. pie pan.
2. In a bowl, toss apples with lemon juice. Combine sugar, flour, cinnamon, salt and nutmeg; add to apples and toss. Pour into crust; dot with butter. Roll out remaining pastry to fit top of pie; cut slits in top. Place over filling; seal and flute edges. Beat egg yolk and water; brush over pastry. Bake at 425 degrees F for 15 minutes. Reduce heat to 350 degrees F; bake 40-45 minutes more or until crust is golden and filling is bubbly.

ALL RIGHTS RESERVED © 2010 Allrecipes.com

1 comment:

  1. That picture of the Apple Topple over Pie looks like it really will topple over. Yum!!! It looks DELICIOUS!

    ReplyDelete